Leadership Development Program Class of 2011
18 October 2011
News Limited’s Leadership Development Program (LDP) today celebrated the graduation of the class of 2011.
An integral part of the News Limited calendar, the LDP provides intensive training over six months for high potential staff in both editorial and commercial roles.
Participants get exposure to the wider operations of the company and are assigned a mentor from senior management. The program provides tools and skills to help them lead their existing teams and develop their careers further.
The core of the program is a major business project in which participants are required to develop detailed strategic plans to address real business issues and opportunities currently facing the company.
This year, the 15 participants worked in three groups to develop strategies for:
Developing and growing our real estate business
Increasing our presence in the supermarket distribution channel for our newspapers and strengthening our relationship with supermarket chains
Optimising the way we use computer tablets for consumers to access our news, entertainment and information
The strategies were presented to a panel of News Limited executives and divisional management including chairman & chief executive officer John Hartigan, chief operating officer Peter Macourt and divisional CEOs.
John Hartigan said: “The LDP has been an incredible nursery for talent and allows management and the participants to explore new strategies to address some of the most interesting and challenging opportunities facing our business”.
“The standard this year was yet again very high and I am delighted that we have so many gifted managers who are ready to take on more senior roles within News,” said Hartigan.
The class of 2011 is:
- Jon Burton, Assistant Editor (Mobile Devices), Herald Sun, The Herald & Weekly Times
- Joey Caisse, Chief Technology Officer (Carsguide), News Digital Media
- Daniel Clarke, Pre-Press Manager, The Herald & Weekly Times
- Sheridan Comino, Agency Sales Manager, News Queensland
- Darrin Day, Finance Manager, Leader Community Newspapers
- Katie Flannigan, Deputy NSW Sales Director, Newsnet
- Vaya Giagtzis, Victorian Advertising Manager, mX
- Rachel Hancock, Deputy Editor, The Sunday Mail, Advertiser Newspapers
- Lachlan Heywood, Editor, The Townsville Bulletin
- Daniel Lane, Nationwide News Sales Manager, NewsAdvantage Sydney
- Mark Muir, IT Business Services Manager, South Australia, National IT
- Matthew Newcomb, Deputy Advertising Director, The Australian
- Nick Smith, Editor, GQ, News Magazines
- Hudd Williams, Creative Services Manager, Nationwide News
- Sue Willis, General Manager, Sunshine Coast, Quest Community Newspapers
News Limited Corporate Affairs